Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Toast ... DAY 3

While watching an episode of Man Vs. Wild, I couldn't help think what British adventurer, Bear Grylls would do, if he had to feed my toddler. Not that I think any less of his running-through-forest-fires-and-free-grappling-waterfall-ways. But, seriously, cooking for toddlers is right up there with the rest. Especially, if said toddler will have only three morsels, and then insist on feeding you. Thankfully, that is a thing of the past for us, and our three-morsel-eater, now eats more or less everything. Except for almost every vegetable there is. Excluding French Fries, obviously. So, what does that leave us with? All dairy, chicken (fried), rice, lentils, all fruits (other than bananas), flat-breads, and breads (off-late).

The path up has been nothing, but treacherous. Complete with landing on our heads and behinds. There were times when AM and I didn't know whether we should try new recipes. Or, simply give up, and pluck what was remaining of our hair. We tried everything -- mashed potatoes, un-mashed ones, juice of every kind, mac-and-cheese, just cheese. But the little ankle-biter wouldn't have any of it -- she was more than happy with her bowls of oatmeal, every single meal. How she didn't tire of it for one whole year, we will never know.

Then, somewhere in mid-August, the winds finally began to change. And, I think it has a little something to do with Alton Brown's double-fried plantains or Tostones. They looked so beautiful, and golden as Alton made them, that despite all odds, I knew I must make them. At the time, I remember saying to AM, if nothing else, it will make a nice post for the blog. Besides, I certainly never like thinking twice before attempting anything deep-fried and sinful.


Except for peeling the plantain (which took me a good 5-7 minutes), the recipe for Tostones is quite simple. Peel, cut, fry until slightly golden, flatten, soak in salted, warm water and deep-fry again. That's it! The final test of course, was whether three-morsel-eater would take the bait. She eyed me carefully, the wheels turning in that little head, I could tell ...
..."hmm, what's this? something new. Do I HAVE to?" "Like, really?" I imagined her thinking, as she picked the tiniest piece there was. A split-rolling-eyes-second-later. "Alright, if it will get you off my back, already." I can still see it. In slow motion, actually. Her eyes, the little hands turning the Tostone over. Then, ever so slowly IN THE MOUTH!! yaayy. Now, would she take another? Yep. Double yaaayy! And a third! You can imagine how hard it must have been for me not to break into an Egyptian dance at this point. But, now was no time to act Sphinx-y. This was the real test. Would she, or would she not take another bite? Typically, this was the point where she stubbornly refused to go on. But, change was in the air. It was a Christmas miracle in August. My little girl took another, and then another. And looked askingly for more.

This was what it felt like to free-fall down a waterfall. No two ways about it.

♣ Gimme More!


When I made this recipe a few months ago, it was without any dipping sauce. That, really was the least of my worries, back then. While, re-making it today though, I did some quick research online and found this recipe by Saveur magazine. I didn't have any Culantro, but the other ingredients -- garlic, cilantro and extra-virgin olive oil -- really complimented the twice-fried plantains, well. Also, do try to serve the Tostones with some orange juice -- the three are really dynamic together. This is my entry for Day 3 for Nupur's seven-day-seven-recipe-marathon at One Hot Stove.

Tostones

You need:
1-2 green plantains
Oil for frying
Salt to taste

Recipe:

Choose firm, green plantains for a savory version. In case, you crave for a sweeter version, wait for the plantain to ripen well beyond a few dark spots.

Cut off the ends of the fruit, and give it a deep nick to make way to peel the skin. Now, slice into one-two inch medallions. Alton shallow-fries his plantains in the first stage, but I found deep-frying for a minute or two, worked as well. Heat enough oil (as much as you would for fritters) and gently slide in the medallions. Turn them over for a minute-and-a-half, and remove on to a rack.

At this stage, Alton dropped the medallions into warm, salted water, but I skipped this step. All, it does is to salt the Tostones evenly, and lend some softness.

Gently press down on the plantain medallions to flatten them (you can do this between a couple of plates, a bottle with a rounded bottom, or between your palms, even). Deep-fry them once again, until golden and crisp. Remove on to a rack, sprinkle with salt to taste, and serve hot with garlic-cilantro dipping sauce, and orange juice.


15 comments:

Ms.Chitchat said...

A well worded write up and the recipe too. Enjoyed every word of it :):)Pic looks awesome.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Abi said...

Wow, thats looks amazing Sheetal! Will definitely give this yummy dish a try!!

Manasi said...

If I aspired to your level of quality Sheetal, I would never get my posts done. Just look at them beautiful words...and glad the little tyke takes after you. Anything fried is gooood!

indosungod said...

who can say no to that and the little tyke is one smart one especially if you are keeping her off french fries.

Radhika said...

Gorgeous photo! And a great recipe, anything with plantains and I am in!

Anonymous said...

I saw 'Daisy cooks' program on PBS and was introduced to tostones.I have been making it as a snack ever since..I have tostone MAKING contraption which flattens the pieces between two boards,bought at a dollar shop.Your pictures look gorgeous.I will try the sauce recipe.

blinkandmiss said...

What an appetizing post! The writeup coupled with superb photographs is making me drool.

Ashwini said...

I like the dexterity of Banana Plantain as a vegetable. The raw ones make a delightful treat to eat. Wil try this some time.

Nice pics as well.

sangeeta said...

ha ha ..your three morsel eater was saved by this miracle !!
great write up Sheetal , the double frying n the dipping sauce both are just too good.

Unknown said...

I am just awed by your Pics, Sheetal.
Love the cilantro-garlic oil on the plantains.Looks delicious.

Vinaya said...

Awesome sheetal-both the post and the write-up! I have to give this one a try :)

ruchikacooks said...

Tempting photo..And as simple as fried food can get..add salt and oil :)

notyet100 said...

i gonna try this soon,..

Pavani said...

Enjoyed reading abt your little one. Gorgeous pic and mouth watering dish.

Spice said...

Fried food yum....he doesn't like plaintain but if I guess this trick of frying will work....enjoyed reading the post.....

& Wish U & your family a very HAppy NEw Year...